Monday, January 31, 2011

Sources #1 - The Supermarket

I will be posting regularly on where to find things in Bangalore.  I think the biggest issue with settling in an Indian city is where to find some of the creature comforts of home.  In a place where the Produce is vast, but the Local vegetable selection can be somewhat of a quandry for those who are not used to the Indian menu.  Children are the hardest to please of course and take the longest to become adjusted to Indian cuisine, if they do at all.

My children if they had a choice would eat Pancakes or French toast every morning until the end of time I think.  However Pancakes just aren't Pancakes without Maple syrup, and French toast just isn't French Toast without Molasses.

 It was a good 6 months before I found either.  However the only source that I have found is a great place called most simply 'The Supermarket' in the 5th Ave Mall on Brigade road just south of MG Road.

You can find all sorts of creature comforts from all over the world in this shop.  You will generally pay import prices, but some things are just worth it.

Until Next Time
Sherri 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sherri,

    I thought I'd take the liberty of asking you this question since your experience would be useful for me. I have been reading reviews on the Web for an ideal washing machine for Indian conditions, both in terms of machine quality and after sales service. The three popular brands seem to be LG, Siemens and Whirlpool but there are conflicting reviews on its quality/after sales service. The assistants at the electronics stores I visited in Bangalore do not offer any sound suggestions. I am looking to purchase a front loading machine since that seems to be easier to maintain as compared to a top loader. Any suggestion/advice you can offer on the brand you use/found to be most useful, will help in making a decision. Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you.

    Regards,
    Preeti

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for sharing your experience. This really helps. ~Preeti

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Ravi. It may take extra time to figure things out, but as long as you can streamline your daily living tasks things will move along much more smoothly for you.

      I am such a hands on control freak at times. I think that India is good training for letting go and delegating tasks to staff. With much training of course.

      Delete